If your 2018 federal return has already been filed and you are due a refund, you can check the status of your refund online.
“Where’s My Refund?” is an interactive tool on the IRS website at IRS.gov. Whether you have opted for direct deposit into one account, split your refund among several accounts, or asked the IRS to mail you a check, “Where’s My Refund?” will give you online access to your refund information nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you e-file, you can get refund information within 24 hours after the IRS has acknowledged receipt of your return. Generally, refunds for e-filed returns are issued within 21 days. If you file a paper return, your refund information will be available within four weeks. When checking the status of your refund, have your federal tax return handy. To access your personalized refund information, you must enter:
- Your Social Security number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number);
- Your filing status (single, married filing joint return, married filing separate return, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)); and
- The exact refund amount shown on your tax return.
Once you have entered your personal information, one of several responses may come up, including the following:
- Acknowledgement that your return has been received and is in processing.
- The mailing date or direct-deposit date of your refund.
- Notice that the IRS has been unable to deliver your refund because of an incorrect address. You can update your address online using the feature on “Where’s My Refund?”
The quickest refunds are via direct deposit. Allow additional time for checks to be processed through the mail.
When should you call the IRS if you don’t receive your refund? You should only call if it has been:
- 21 days or more since your return was e-filed,
- 6 weeks or more since you mailed your return, or
- When “Where’s My Refund” tells you to contact the IRS
“Where’s My Refund?” also includes links to customized information based on your specific situation. The links will guide you through the steps to resolve any issues affecting your refund. If you have questions related to your refund, please give our CPA Westlake Village a call.